Camp Matthews, known as Marine Rifle Range, La Jolla prior to the entrance of the United States into World War II, was a firing range located where UCSD is now. At its peak during the war it brought as many as 9,000 men through every 3 weeks. Marines marched up from downtown San Diego, practiced shooting their rifles, and left. Camp Matthews closed its doors in 1964 when the city and local businessmen convinced them to leave, helping to fulfill the UC Regent's promise to build a campus in San Diego.
|March 22, 1942 –August 20, 1964
|military » base » Camp Matthews
|June 19, 2011